[Gllug] Sending lots of emails "crashes a server"

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Wed Jul 21 08:42:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 19:27, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 05:16:39PM +0100, Tom wrote:
> > Is it likely that a user could crash a Linux server by doing a mass
> > mailing?
>
> What do you have in /proc/sys/fs/file-max?

Good thought - I've been tripped up over that one on a mail server.
IIRC though, there should be an entry in the logs saying that this
has been reached.

A quick thought on your problem - maybe the load average climbed high
and the server became unresponsive. Then someone came along and powered
the server down, and back up.
Is that possible? Do you admin it, or do other people have access?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk