[Gllug] Yum problem

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Sat Jul 24 10:50:01 UTC 2004

On Sat 24 Jul Alain Williams wrote:
> I run yum & get:
>
> 	[root at bytemark yum]# yum update
> 	Traceback (most recent call last):
> 	  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
> 	    import yummain
> 	ImportError: Bad magic number in /usr/share/yum/yummain.pyc
> 	[root at bytemark yum]#
>
> The cksum for /usr/share/yum/yummain.pyc agrees with that on another machine of mine
> (where yum does work).

The compiled python (which is what .pyc is) is for a different version
of python from that which you are running.  This is an installer or
packaging problem really.

You may be able to find a binary package for the python version you are
running (python -V will tell you).  The alternative is to rebuild the
package from source, which should use your current python version.  I'm
not a Redhat person so I can't provide the incantations unfortunately.

doug.

--
  http://adju.st/   | "If you want to know about governments,
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD |  all you have to know is two words:
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk