[Gllug] Introduction (not really relevant to anything, just saying hello)

Pete Ryland pdr at createservices.com
Tue Jul 6 14:10:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 07:22:25PM +0100, Christian Smith wrote:
> Averyone should avoid ClearCase like the plague, and not just 'cos it's
> expensive. Dynamic views sound really good on paper, but in practice,
> well, it's not a big win, especially when you require filesystem drivers
> to implement it.

I just can't agree with that.  From a developer and change manager's point
of view, I've found ClearCase to be one of the best products I've ever used.
It's been four or five years since I last used it, so I'm not sure how
stable it is now, but our sysadmins used to whinge about it a lot back then.
On the other hand, all other Rational products I've used have been complete
crap, thus proving that while the RUP sounds good in theory, it doesn't make
good, quality software any easier to produce.  Note that ClearCase was
bought out by Rational and not initially developed by them.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk