[Gllug] cam phone to communicate w pc via usb cable

Will Napier will at thinkingsuccess.com
Fri Jul 16 18:23:18 UTC 2004

Hi, I am non-technical and think I may have bitten off rather more than I
can chew. I have just bought a usb data cable for my Samsung E700 mobile
phone, and I want to transfer photos. Following some online advice I added
the following line to /etc/fstab : none /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs defaults 0
0. I then mounted the proc filesystem: mount /proc/bus/usb. I have updated
to the latest version of gphoto2 using synaptic. I have verified that I
have hotplug. When I used synaptic to install gphoto2, a message which I
wasn't expecting but mentioned usermap being added. I suspect this was an
automatic happening of what the online advice said I would have to do:
"plug in camera and add the output of gphoto2 --print-usb-usermap to
/etc/hotplug/usb.usermap". My camera was plugged in to the usb at the
time. However I have looked in /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap, but I have no
idea whether anything has actually been added there, certainly not in the
name of my phone. Retreating to the GUI of gtkam, I clicked on 'add'
camera, and am invited to enter the extended path of the port that I want
to use. Please say if this is all too newbie, but is there a simple answer
to this? What might I put as the path, and would this be likely to enable
the transfer of photos? With thanks for any help or pointers to
information.

Will

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk