[Gllug] Any doubts about the EU (I know its off subject - but you've just gotta know this)

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Thu Jul 1 13:02:11 UTC 2004

Dear Alain,

Someone on your 'other list' is talking out of its backside. The protocol
referred to dates from 1965 (though is still effective) and accords
essentially 'diplomatic rights' to those on EU business; reserves to other
treaties how interstate crimes are handled; has nothing to say about official
documents and buildings (at least in ch5) and in any case would under the
draft constitution be superceded altogether.

So it doesn't extend blanket immunity, doesn't apply to all "members of the EU
governing structure", doesn't apply to all acts and deeds or "anything they
do" and doesn't make anyone "above the law". I have learned that it is better
to actually read the legislation concerned before parroting those with axes
to grind. Perhaps you could do the same.

This all, of course, only has one thing in common with Linux: Law also relies
on open source.
"Protocol on the privileges and immunities of the European Communities of 8
April 1965"
http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/en/treaties/selected/livre501.html
--
Al

Thus spaketh Alain Williams on Thursday 01 Jul 2004 13:21:

--
Alistair

Today is Boomtime, the 36th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3170
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk