[Gllug] X terminal or diskless workstation - views?

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Jul 27 13:47:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 14:26, Peter Childs wrote:

>     I'm not too sure at the difference between the two options, they
> seam the same to me. ie a X terminal would be a diskless workstation, to
> do anything your going to need to load stuff off your server,
Your point is taken, and from your reply you do understand the
difference. For the 'younger set' though, it might be worth explaining
what the difference is.

In the 'old days' when Unix workstations cost many $$$$$ it was common
to have dedicated devices called X-terminals.
these were dedicated computers, not as powerful as a graphics
workstation, but which had full size screens, keyboards mice and an
Ethernet connector. They booted via the network from the server,
and run the X protocol only. So its like having a remote terminal,
running X.
for instance, as St. Thomas they had a therapy planning system running
on HP workstations. As part of the network, there were several HP
X-terms for the clinicians to use. If I'm not wrong they had 2M of
memory, which made them much cheaper than the thousands of pounds an HP
workstation cost.
One of the beauties of Linux now is with the LTSP project you can
recycle old, less powerful PCs as zero cost X-terminals.

A diskless workstation is something different.
Its sometimes used  in Beowulf clusters, though we don't and use
the hard disk on the nodes.
The nodes boot up, normally via the network or maybe off a CF or USB
stick.
They run Linux entirely in a RAM disk.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk