[Gllug] One step forward - 2 steps back

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Jul 20 14:53:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 15:47, Tethys wrote:
[snip]
> Normally, /dev/vgname/foo is a symlink to /dev/mapper/vgname-foo.
> Setting up LVM Volume Groups entails ensuring that these symlinks
> are correct, by simply deleting the old ones and recreating them.
> It obviosuly has a safety check so that it doesn't delete the old
> ones if they're not symlinks.

Thank you.  All is now hunky.  I'm not sure when it did it but it has
now deleted those two device nodes and replaced them with symlinks as
you describe above.

Returning to the original object of the exercise, I've now got OProfile
running and it seems to be positively frigid.

I'm a happy bunny.

John

(Incidentally, the answer to the original question - where are all the
cycles going - is that the original code being profiled loads a number
of libraries dynamically and it seems that the gcc profiler doesn't cope
with this, even though the libraries are also compiled with -pg.
OProfile on the other hand has them bang to rights.)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk