Was [Gllug] Best option for a lot of compute power

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Jun 8 10:05:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 10:47, Luke Hopkins wrote:
> Have been following this thread with interest. We run web services which
> are very db & disk intensive.
> We had planned on ordering some Dell 1750's (XEON with HT), but the
> concensus seems to be that's not the best option?
You pays your money, you takes your choice!
How about asking for an Opteron on evaluation loan?
Martin at Clues, GND, ourselves to name a few suppliers!

> Would opterons be better for this purpose? Would we then need to run a
> 64 bit OS? Reccomendations?
Me again.

You can quite happily run a 32 bit Linux on them.
We have run SuSE on the Opteron cluster slave nodes,
while the master ran the 64 bit version.
We now run the 64 bit SuSE 9.0 version on all nodes.

Another good candidate would be Redhat Enterprise.
There's an x86-64 Fedora version too.
Again your choice!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk