[Gllug] Microsoft Get The Facts Seminar

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 16:03:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 11:56:49PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Huw Lynes writes:
>
> >http://www.hlynes.com/getthefacts.shtml
>
> >From the article:
>
> 	The overall tone of this event makes it fairly clear as to Microsoft's
> 	anti-Linux strategy.
>
> 	1. Claim that linux isn't free.
>
> But the fact is, Linux *isn't* free. Yes, it's free to the likes of
> you or me. It's free to companies that have sufficiently clued up
> technical staff. But to the vast majority of companies, it costs them
> money in the form of a support contract with Red Hat or SuSE. It's
> a brave company that decides to ditch Windows in favour of a Debian
> or Fedora install, unless they have a reasonable amount of in house
> technical expertise. And most don't...

More than that -- they have to pay someone to look after the Linux boxen.
So, in that respect, Linux isn't free.

The free (as in beer) aspect of Linux really makes a difference when you are
dealing with: large numbers of machines; not having to worry about keeping zillions
of licence agreements; not paying for upgrades.
OK: this is eroded is you use RedHat/SuSE (and MS wanted comparisons against that scenario),
but there is still an advantage.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk