[Gllug] A little research into the London mayoral candidates

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Thu Jun 3 16:41:19 UTC 2004

This is just for fun... no political point meant... well, maybe one or two
:-)

So, I got a little booklet posted to me, with the manifestos of all the
London mayoral candidates for the election next week, most of them with URLs
and/or contact email addresses... and I got to thinking - I wonder who uses
what for their web and email systems...  A bit of playing with netcraft.com
and a bit of telnet to port 25, and here's some answers:

-----
Frank Maloney - UK Independence Party
Web:	Apache 1.3 on Linux, with PHP and Frontpage
Email:	IIS on unknown (hotmail.com)
 	Microsoft ESMTP Mail Service

Steve Norris - Conservative
Web:	Apache 1.3 on Linux (Debian) with PHP, AuthMySQL, mod_ssl, OpenSSL and mod_jk
Email:	none

Ram Gidoomal - Christian Peoples Alliance
Web:	Apache 1.3 on Linux
Email:	IIS on Windows 2000
 	Imail

Ken Livingston - Labour
Web:	none
Email:	Zope (unreleased version, python 2.3.3, linux2) on Linux with Plone 2.0
 	Exim 4.24 (on a machine called attlee)

Julian Leppert - BNP
Web:	IIS on Windows Server 2003
Email:	none

Darren Johnson - Green
Web:	Apache 1.3 on Linux (Debian) with PHP, mod_ssl, OpenSSL and mod_jk
Email:	none

Tammy Nagalingam - We Londoners?
Web:	Spry-SafetyWEB-Server-NT on NT4 or Windows 98 (ourworld.compuserve.com)
Email:	IIS on NT4/Windows 98 (compuserve.com)
 	Sendmail (apparently on SUN)

Lorna Reid - Independent Working Class Association
Web:	Zeus on Linux
Email:	none

Simon Hughes - Liberal Democrats
Web:	Apache 2.0.49 on Linux
Email:	Apache 2.0.49 on Linux
 	Sendmail

Lindsey German - Respect - The Unity Coalition (George Galloway)
Web:	none
Email:	none
-----

none means there wasn't a URL or email address listed, and the two lines
under Email are for the web server running on the quoted address, and the
SMTP server running on the highest MX for that domain.

I'd say that Ken Livingstone has the most interesting setup from our point
of view, with zope, plone and exim, and I'm interested to see that the only
ones running IIS on their web server are the BNP.  Only one of the
candidates lists neither a URL nor a contact email address, 6 have custom
domains registered for their mayoral campaign, only one uses a generic URL
(under ourworld.compuserve.com) where the others at least give a party
domain, and two have generic email addresses (one at hotmail, the other at
compuserve again).  Oh, and only the Lim Dems have upgraded to Apache 2 :-)

Cheers
Richard, a little bored at work...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk