[Gllug] A little research into the London mayoral candidates

Jack Richards jack at gnu-solutions.com
Thu Jun 3 19:54:22 UTC 2004

Richard,

I'd forward this to the Register If I were you, I think it would make a great
friday afternoon story !

Jack

Quoting Richard Cohen <richard at vmlinuz.org>:

> This is just for fun... no political point meant... well, maybe one or two
> :-)
>
> So, I got a little booklet posted to me, with the manifestos of all the
> London mayoral candidates for the election next week, most of them with URLs
> and/or contact email addresses... and I got to thinking - I wonder who uses
> what for their web and email systems...  A bit of playing with netcraft.com
> and a bit of telnet to port 25, and here's some answers:
>
> -----
> Frank Maloney - UK Independence Party
> Web:	Apache 1.3 on Linux, with PHP and Frontpage
> Email:	IIS on unknown (hotmail.com)
>  	Microsoft ESMTP Mail Service
>
> Steve Norris - Conservative
> Web:	Apache 1.3 on Linux (Debian) with PHP, AuthMySQL, mod_ssl, OpenSSL and
> mod_jk
> Email:	none
>
> Ram Gidoomal - Christian Peoples Alliance
> Web:	Apache 1.3 on Linux
> Email:	IIS on Windows 2000
>  	Imail
>
> Ken Livingston - Labour
> Web:	none
> Email:	Zope (unreleased version, python 2.3.3, linux2) on Linux with
Plone
> 2.0
>  	Exim 4.24 (on a machine called attlee)
>
> Julian Leppert - BNP
> Web:	IIS on Windows Server 2003
> Email:	none
>
> Darren Johnson - Green
> Web:	Apache 1.3 on Linux (Debian) with PHP, mod_ssl, OpenSSL and mod_jk
> Email:	none
>
> Tammy Nagalingam - We Londoners?
> Web:	Spry-SafetyWEB-Server-NT on NT4 or Windows 98 (ourworld.compuserve.com)
> Email:	IIS on NT4/Windows 98 (compuserve.com)
>  	Sendmail (apparently on SUN)
>
> Lorna Reid - Independent Working Class Association
> Web:	Zeus on Linux
> Email:	none
>
> Simon Hughes - Liberal Democrats
> Web:	Apache 2.0.49 on Linux
> Email:	Apache 2.0.49 on Linux
>  	Sendmail
>
> Lindsey German - Respect - The Unity Coalition (George Galloway)
> Web:	none
> Email:	none
> -----
>
> none means there wasn't a URL or email address listed, and the two lines
> under Email are for the web server running on the quoted address, and the
> SMTP server running on the highest MX for that domain.
>
> I'd say that Ken Livingstone has the most interesting setup from our point
> of view, with zope, plone and exim, and I'm interested to see that the only
> ones running IIS on their web server are the BNP.  Only one of the
> candidates lists neither a URL nor a contact email address, 6 have custom
> domains registered for their mayoral campaign, only one uses a generic URL
> (under ourworld.compuserve.com) where the others at least give a party
> domain, and two have generic email addresses (one at hotmail, the other at
> compuserve again).  Oh, and only the Lim Dems have upgraded to Apache 2 :-)
>
> Cheers
> Richard, a little bored at work...
> --

Jack Richards

GNU Solutions Ltd
Atlantic House
Imperial Way
Reading
Berks.
RG2 0TD

web   : www.gnu-solutions.com
email : jack at gnu-solutions.com
Office: +44 (0)870  250 9219
DDI   : +44 (0)1462 634 410
Mobile: +44 (0)7788 437 904
Fax   : +44 (0)871  277 1937

*

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR
ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS
PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please accept our apology.
We should be obliged if you would email them by return.

Thank you.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk