[Gllug] migrating install to larger hd

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Jun 2 09:53:33 UTC 2004

First of all, isolate the parts of the disk which are likely to
contain "user data".  I normally isolate changes which I want to
preserve across machines to /home and /usr/local (also helps for
backups too ...)

It's a good idea to make sure on the new machine that those are on
separate partitions, particularly /home.

Install a new distribution on the new disk, and copy across those
data partitions.  I normally use:

tar cflp - /mnt/oldhome | tar xflp - /home

followed by:

(cd /mnt/oldhome && find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum) | sort > /tmp/oldsums
(cd /home && find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum) | sort > /tmp/newsums

Compare the two files and investigate any differences.

Rich.

http://www.winwinsales.co.uk/ - CRM improvement consultancy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk