[Gllug] migrating install to larger hd

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 09:58:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 10:53:33AM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> First of all, isolate the parts of the disk which are likely to
> contain "user data".  I normally isolate changes which I want to
> preserve across machines to /home and /usr/local (also helps for
> backups too ...)
>
> It's a good idea to make sure on the new machine that those are on
> separate partitions, particularly /home.

Already there!

> Install a new distribution on the new disk, and copy across those
> data partitions.  I normally use:
>
> tar cflp - /mnt/oldhome | tar xflp - /home

I see where you are coming from, but I don't really want to install
the distro again, as I've got this one up to date and don't want to
spend time patching etc. I just want to hunk it all across, preferably
to lvm based "partitions".

> followed by:
>
> (cd /mnt/oldhome && find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum) | sort > /tmp/oldsums
> (cd /home && find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum) | sort > /tmp/newsums

Like that. I'll incorporate it - thanks.

Cheers,

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk