[Gllug] EPIA-M with 1GB of memory

Mark Williams mark at aziraphale.homeip.net
Fri Jun 11 21:01:12 UTC 2004

john at sinodun.org.uk wrote:
> Can you give any pointers on the procedure you used to do this?  I
> have a similar problem (diskless EPIA box) but completely failed to
> get FreeDOS to boot.

Basically, it is a similar procedure to the one for booting Linux with
an initial ramdisk.  AFAICR, in my case this was:

 - Obtain FreeDOS boot floppy image.

 - Tinker with boot floppy image to insert BIOS update program.

 - Create netbootable image from boot floppy image with mknbi-fdos.

 - Instruct DHCP server to serve etherboot to PXE client in BIOS.

 - Instruct DHCP server to serve FreeDOS to netboot client in etherboot.

 - Get DHCP server to re-read its configuration.

 - Start bootup sequence on diskless EPIA box.

 - Cross fingers, thumbs, toes and other extraneous body parts.

The last step is optional.

--
Mark
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk