[Gllug] [OT]fire at redbus?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 11:24:44 UTC 2004

On Wed 16 Jun, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> I found it particularly scary that much of the monitoring equipment that I
> used to work on in nuclear power stations is entirely mains powered - with
> little or no provision for backup power.

   The claim is that if power is lost all British designs of nuclear power
equipment will fail safe and shut down automatically. Chernobyl was
definitely not fail safe, and was being operated at low power with almost
all safety features disabled under conditions were it was totally unstable,
facts well known to almost everyone but the local operators. I can bring my
copy of the Chernobyl report along to GLLUG if anyone is interested (as
distributed at the UK political party conferences).

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk