[Gllug] re; synching generators to the grid

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 11:23:49 UTC 2004

About 20 years ago I took a tour round the Dinorwig (if thats how you spell it)
pumped-storage power-station in deepest Wales.   I vaguely recollect the guy
saying that it detected the need for extra power on the grid by checking
the grid frequency - if it dropped more than a certain number of points the
sluice gates opened and the water-turbine whizzed up to speed and on load within
about 30 seconds.  Of course my memory may be totally faulty !

I never did ask him how they managed to synch up the turbine generators to the
grid.  For that matter, how do they do it with wind power ?

Tim

This E-Mail and any files transmitted  with it, are confidential
whom they are addressed. If you have received this message
in error please notify the sender and delete the message.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk