[Gllug] re: software dowloads patent

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Wed Jun 16 15:46:30 UTC 2004

On Wed 16 Jun Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> So, writing to your MEP warning them of this patent [c|sh]ould be
> equally...rewarding...

The big problem, I think, is not convincing MEPs that software patents
are bad - that argument seems to have been quite convicingly won for
most.  The problem is that those promoting the directive claim that it
doesn't actually allow software patents.

Quite a good move on their part, as it moves the grounds of the debate
from somewhere they were clearly losing to the irritating minutae of the
specifics of the proposed directive.  If you've read any of it, you'll
know it is basically impenetrable, with the meaning intentionally
obscured.

This means the politicians have to choose who they believe about what
the bill means.  It's no surprise they tend to believe the lawyers that
wrote it, and their own Patent Officials :(

doug.

--
  http://adju.st/   | I am the hamster.
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD | Hear me roar.           Growl!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk