[Gllug] london's oldest wintel

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 04:49:22 UTC 2004

Richard Jones wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 02:59:02PM +0100, Ian Norton wrote:
>

>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/15/kinitron_old_pc/
>>
>>I think if it didnt exclude linux/unix boxes then the prize would probably go
>>to someone using a sparc IPC or somthing else exotic as a full time DNS  :-)
>>
>>my best guess is someone will proclame thier p200 running win98 to be the
>>oldest pc in london  :-P
>>

>My dad was running a Spectrum[1] as a record keeping system until
>relatively recently.  It had an Opus floppy drive (not the Opus
>Discovery 1).  Ran pretty well too, although it used to have trouble
>not crashing in hot weather.
>
>Rich.
>
>[1] 128 model too, quite rare.

    Hmm Well we have a 386 and a 286 both running 24x7 running windows
3.1 and DOS 6. Both run aps written in Visual Basic 3 so I guess they
are not that old really. We also have a Bull DPS6 that runs our whole
day to day operation very nicly thankyou.
    We are developing a solution for the DPS6 but there are no plans to
replace these two machines yet, We did try a few months ago to replace
one of them with a more recient machine (1600 Duron, Windows 98) but it
it crashed so often for no obvious reason we put the old machine back in....
    The problem with this compotion of course is that you can't prove it
and it will almost definatly be a draw because the rules are too strict.
    Oh the replacement is Linux based Written in hmm Postgres, C++, Qt,
and Jabber.

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk