[Gllug] [OT?] Please sign my Google petition ...

Richard richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Jun 9 10:12:15 UTC 2004

Tethys wrote:

>Why restrict it to just XHTML? Surely if the site validates, then that's
>OK. Most of my sites are HTML 4.01 Strict (with a few still Transitional).
>I don't generally write XHTML because it serves no purpose.

I signed, not because I believe that everything should be XHTML, but
because I think that there needs to be incentive for businesses to
conform to *some* standard. Without standards the Internet is dead; as
it is the Internet looks rather sickly. I have no illusion that Google
will implement the terms of the petition word-for-word, but I believe
that if Google to rewards well-written web sites with higher rankings,
then an awful lot of companies will want a well-written web site. As it
is, any business that demands a competitive Google/search engine
ranking, will make sure they don't have all sorts of evil and bizarre
chrome shite on their front page because it damages their ranking.
Sadly, this means people hide their shite-site behind "Welcome" pages
filled with keywords... Anyway, bring on the well written sites, please.

I encourage everyone to sign the petition, not because it's flawless,
but because the agenda it pushes is desirable for "us all" (read: "all
us non-IE users").

Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk