[Gllug] Re: Good quality audio cards

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Sun Jun 20 15:01:42 UTC 2004

Stephan Bourgeois writes:

>I read that virtually all consumer PC soundcards are designed
>primarily for output (D/A), and that input (A/D) is generally of
>very poor quality.

A few years ago, a musician friend of mine used to swear by Turtle Beach
soundcards, as they didn't come with loads of bells and whistles, but
gave him great signal to noise ratios for his recordings.

	http://www.tbeach.com

Personally, onboard audio usually satisfies my needs, but at some point,
I'm going to want to FLACify all my vinyl, and that's when I'll need
something better. Until then, my onboard card[1] is fine for me.

Tet

[1] /proc/pci tells me it's an Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97
    Audio Controller.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk