[Gllug] Best option for a lot of compute power

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Mon Jun 7 10:31:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 11:15, Richard wrote:
> John Winters wrote:
>
> >I'm looking into software for the production of school timetables.  All
> >the approaches seem to have one thing in common - they needs lots of
> >compute power.
> >
> >The front runner at the moment is Tablix, which has good support for
> >running on a whole LAN-full of machines. Unfortunately, although we have
> >hundreds of machines at school they almost all run Windows and Tablix
> >hasn't yet been ported to Windows.  (The actual application would be
> >pretty easy, but add in all the necessary support services and it
> >becomes a bigger task.)
> >

> <snip>
> Depending on how your Windows desktops are set up (I'm assuming some
> elegant, centralised system here); is running bochs + Linux on each
> desktop a possibility? Ok, so the per-machine CPU isn't going to be
> great, but if you've got a few labs full of machines then it should fly.

Talking about Windows and HPC,
did anyone else see Jack Schofield's column in last Thursday's Guardian?
I just about made the Evening Standard by having kittens on a Circle
Line tube train, but that's beside the point.

It was about Windows Server HPC Edition:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,1229637,00.html

The last paragraph though is a bit much - we provide turnkey Linux
clusters, as do other firms.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk