[Gllug] Down in the valley something stirred

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Wed Jun 2 11:17:12 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 17:47 pm, Leslie Till wrote:
> This is the reply I received, 21st May, from the DTI regarding an
> email that I sent on the 14th May.
<SNIP>

This reply is amazing, especially when members of the Labour Group in
Europe take this stance:

<Quoted mail>
Thank you for your recent email to Robert Evans MEP concerning the
proposed directive on the patentability of computer implemented
inventions. Robert has asked me to reply on his behalf.

The European Parliament's Labour Party, along with the majority of the
Parliament, voted for limits to the patenting of computer-implemented
inventions. Unfortunately, the Council of Ministers have chosen to
ignore the views of the Parliament and we are now preparing for some
very tough negotiations with them.

However, the Council of Ministers and the Commission will not be able to
ignore the views of democratically elected Members of the European
Parliament. I can assure you that the Parliament will defend its
position and there will be no final law without the agreement of the
Parliament. If both the Council of Ministers and the European
Commission refuse to reinsert Parliament's amendments, there will be no
Directive. Our power on this piece of legislation is very strong, with
the ability to modify or block the legislation.

Labour MEP Arlene McCarthy is Parliament's rapporteur for this Directive
and along with Labour colleagues will continue to defend the position
of the Parliament which is: -

·        Against patenting of software as in the US.

·        Europe needs a uniform legal approach to stop the drifting
towards extending patentability to inventions, which would not have
been traditionally allowed, and to stop patentability of pure business
methods, algorithms or mathematical methods.

·        Software products as such, must not be patented.

·        Opensource software must be allowed to flourish and the
Commission must ensure that this Directive does not have any adverse
effect on opensource software and small software developers.

·        Patents and the threat of litigation must not be used as an
anti-competitive weapon to squeeze out small companies.

Furthermore we are supporting a UK campaign for a defence fund for small
companies to protect themselves from litigation abuse by dominant
market players.

Thank you again for writing to Robert about this issue.

Yours sincerely

Louise Humphrey

Casework Manager

</Quote>