[Gllug] Introduction (not really relevant to anything, just saying hello)

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jun 24 07:19:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Russell Howe moaned:
> So in order to send sound over a network link, you'll need something
> like esd, aRts, nas, rplay or something similar. Most (if not all) will
> have ALSA drivers for the host side of things, but I don't think any of
> the ALSA developers would even consider adding network support. It'd be
> like having a network-enabled IDE driver - not necessary when a higher
> level abstraction lets you do what you need to (nbd). In this case,
> esd/aRts/... are the higher (userspace) level abstraction.

This would be a reasonable position if the higher-level abstraction didn't
throw most of the capabilities away :(

As it is, it seems that the box physically connected to the sound device
should have its apps compiled against ALSA directly if possible; the
rest should use esd (and lose any API advantages that ALSA has over esd,
which are manifold).

Ickkk.

--
`We in no way believe that this Christ was a space alien.'
                    --- A creationist website goes completely bonkers
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk