[Gllug] Linux graphics card

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Thu Jun 10 12:22:49 UTC 2004

Tethys originally wrote:

> [1] Not that they have one any more. By all accounts, ATI are beating
>     them both in terms of bang/buck and also outright performance
> these days.

True - and you don't need a bugger of a power supply to run the X800 XT like
you do with the Geforce 6800 Ultra - nor an extra slot just to accommodate
the huge fan it has.

On a similar vain, I purchased Red Hat Enterprise WS last night and gave it
a spin.  My Radeon 9800 kept locking up in the graphical installer (dodgy
default driver, perhaps) so did the text install, downloaded the ATI driver
(which was a bugger - ATI's site is utterly useless under Lynx so had to
boot into Windows, FTP it up my site and then download it back under Linux)
installed the RPM which then kicked off compilation and now had a nice
working 3D ATI driver and couldn't be happier (well, I could - but you get
the drift).

Try installing that same Ati driver under Suse 9.1 with it's 2.6 kernel and
you'll "have a lot of fun indeed (although to be fair to SuSE, at least
their default 2D driver actually works!).

Regards,

	Martyn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk