[Gllug] Good quality audio cards

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jun 20 05:38:14 UTC 2004

On Saturday 19 Jun 2004 11:27 pm, will wrote:

> I thought that too, except when I heard the difference.  My dad had a
> set of Kef speakers connected to the amp by mains cable.  A musician
> friend of mine came round, saw the cabling and was apalled enough to go
> out and buy some decent quality cable.  I was sceptical until I heard
> the difference, it was quite remarkable, the sound was much better with
> the new cable.

That's VERY unlikely, unless either the Mains cable was of very low rating (so
resistivity was higher) or, because you were making new connections, you made
cleaner contact with the amplifier and loudspeaker terminals.

Some years ago, a hi-fi salesman of my acquaintance was waxing lyrical about
these "wonderful new speaker cables" that "only" cost £43/metre that his shop
was selling!  I told him that I'd also found some "fabulous" speaker cables
that were "a bit cheaper" than his.

He agreed to a comparison test -  two of with his "ideal" systems in the
listening room at his shop, one set up with his speaker cable, and one with
mine.  Suffice to say - there was no audible difference (to either of us)
between systems, and he actually cried when he found out that my "slightly
cheaper" speaker cable came from B&Q for about 15p/metre!

Cable effects are entirely insignificant at audio frequencies, unless you have
damaged cable or poor connections.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk