[Gllug] Good quality audio cards

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 20 08:53:48 UTC 2004

On Sun 20 Jun, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> On Saturday 19 Jun 2004 11:27 pm, will wrote:
>
> > I thought that too, except when I heard the difference.  My dad had a
> > set of Kef speakers connected to the amp by mains cable.  A musician
> > friend of mine came round, saw the cabling and was apalled enough to go
> > out and buy some decent quality cable.  I was sceptical until I heard
> > the difference, it was quite remarkable, the sound was much better with
> > the new cable.
>
> That's VERY unlikely, unless either the Mains cable was of very low rating

   An ex-BBC sound man who made a fortune by turning his hobby, underwater
filming, into a profession sold his old hi-fi system to another friend, an
OB sound supervisor. The old gear (almost new) changed hands at 5,000 UKP
because it had just been replaced by a new system costing 50,000 UKP.
Various cables were swapped around during a demonstration of the new kit,
and I am told that it really did make a difference with kit of that quality,
but probably would not be noticed with cheaper kit.
   Many people would think that the sound from their TV speaker is good
until they are able to switch between that and their hi-fi system.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk