[Gllug] re: SCSI vs Serial ATA

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Mon Jun 14 11:21:47 UTC 2004

And verily, didst t.clarke announce to the hordes:
> If electricity flows at about 1 foot a nanosecond, the delay in one strand of
> a signal over another would seem to be absolutely minimal as a percentage of
> the clock-rates currently in use.   Would not a 'bit width' on a parallel bus
> twice that of on a serial bus, with a smaller 'sampling window' in the middle
> of the bit to cope with timing differences still achive an overall bandwidth
> 4 times greater than a serial bus.   Or have I missed something in the
> arguments??

It's a little more complicated than that when it comes to high speed data.
With parallel, not only do you have the speed of the electricity travelling
down the wires,but delays caused by the internal resistance across the
wires, impedance across the wires and capacitance between the wires and
inductance between the wires causing interference...

These lead to rather complex physical maths equations, and if one strand has
a slightly higher resistance and impedance than the others...

well...
:)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk