[Gllug] re: SCSI vs Serial ATA

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Mon Jun 14 11:11:34 UTC 2004

I have been following the SCSI vs Serial ATA discussions and the various
arguments are most interesting.   I am no electrical engineer, and am somewhat
puzzled by the argument (as I understand it) that differences between arrival
times of signals on the various 'strands' of a parallel bus as measured against
a master 'clock' signal mean that you cannot achieve effectively better the
same overall data-transfer achievable on a serial bus with no timing differences
to deal with.

If electricity flows at about 1 foot a nanosecond, the delay in one strand of
a signal over another would seem to be absolutely minimal as a percentage of
the clock-rates currently in use.   Would not a 'bit width' on a parallel bus
twice that of on a serial bus, with a smaller 'sampling window' in the middle
of the bit to cope with timing differences still achive an overall bandwidth
4 times greater than a serial bus.   Or have I missed something in the
arguments??

Tim

PS: On Servers, I am a SCSI fan !!

This E-Mail and any files transmitted  with it, are confidential
whom they are addressed. If you have received this message
in error please notify the sender and delete the message.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk