[Gllug] news mirror sites

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jun 29 21:51:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Russell Howe spake:
> Your best bet for anonymity is to run some kind of non-logging proxy,
> which renders pages as images, so that if the user requests
> news.google.com, they don't get HTML, they get an image which they can
> read just fine, but which:
>
> a) Isn't trawlable by packet sniffers
> b) Looks like any other image on a webpage
> c) Looks like normal HTTP traffic (since it is)
> d) Has an imagemap or somesuch which allows links to be clicked on.
>
> However, I don't know of any software which can do this, much less do
> it well. Shouldn't be *that* hard to do with mozilla and maybe a way
> of controlling the X cursor by HTTP requests :)

I think a proxy pair (one on the net-cafe, one on the remote site) which
do steganographic hiding might be more effective. Turn images off to
keep the bandwidth down, and you're home free (if you want to be really
paranoid, make the steganographic unit entire sentences or paragraphs
from Chinese Communist Party propaganda or something. ;} )

--
`We in no way believe that this Christ was a space alien.'
                    --- A creationist website goes completely bonkers
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk