[Gllug] Quiet/Silent rackmount switch recommendation?

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue Jun 22 20:15:43 UTC 2004

Nix wrote:
> Er, why would even large switches make any noise? They're
> low-power-consumotion solid-state devices: do the huge ones emit enough
> heat to need fans or something?

Even the small rackmount switches we use (Catalyst 2900XLs) make quite a
bit of noise from the fans, and these are comparatively quiet.  3coms
are appallingly noisy (i'm sure some of them would get environmental
health round if you ran them in your house).

I haven't bought a new switch in quite a while though (I got a job lot
of catalysts a few years back), so I'm not surprised some of them are a
lot quieter now.  I expect some of them use far more heat-efficient CPUs
than the ciscos (the 2900s have 486s iirc).

I'd still be wary about running /anything/ fanless in a rack though -
when you've got a rack fully populated you can get some nasty hotspots
from surrounding equipment.

And obviously some switches really make a *LOT* of noise:

http://www.b2net.co.uk/cisco/cisco_mgx_8900_series_switches.htm

:)

doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/