[Gllug] Quiet/Silent rackmount switch recommendation?

Simon Perry gllug at si-designs.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 17:15:27 UTC 2004

Nix wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Doug Winter mused:
>

>>Simon Perry wrote:
>>

>>>Does anyone have a recommendation for a quiet, or better still silent, 16 or 24 port 10/100 rackmount switch? I have contacted a
>>>couple of manufacturers but they don't seem to have any noise emission data for their products.
>>>

>>Seems unlikely that such a thing exists to me - rackmount kit is aimed at lights-out facilities, where noise is not an issue.  If
>>you want quiet, you'll probably have to go for a consumer-oriented device.
>>

>Er, why would even large switches make any noise? They're
>low-power-consumotion solid-state devices: do the huge ones emit enough
>heat to need fans or something?

Thanks to Bruce, Doug and John for your suggestions. Where do you source
your sweex switches, my google fu has left me today and I can only find
people selling the small 4 and 8 port units.**

The old unit is aSuperStack^® II Switch 1100 from 3com and has two fans,
each about as loud as a small aeroplane that run continuously! They do
actually seem to push out a lot of warm air but that is probably
generated by their own tired bearings.

Thanks

Simon
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk