[Gllug] re: software dowloads patent

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 06:40:08 UTC 2004

On Friday 18 Jun 2004 12:57 am, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear Mike, et.al.,
>
> That's all the more reason why groups like GLLUG and UKUUG
> should work together to actively put pressure on the moronic
> peeps in the EU (who in turn are advised by extremely well
> paid lawyers) in order to resist such crap legislation.
>
> As a starter, could the GLLUG, UKUUG, and ... activists get
> together and formulate a UK policy?  It only takes a few
> phone calls or e-mails.  Then a press announcement.  Then
> something from Number 10, ...  Then something from Brussels!
>
> Let's hope something happens soon.  Does the EFF have a
> european offshoot?

Unfortunately, when the Presidency of the EU is "sponsored" by Micro$oft - as
the Irish President was - there's little that can be done.  The level of
obvious corruption in the EU exceeds even that of the American "Government".

Software patents are almost a certainty, and the best we can probably do is to
establish a legal fund to support those charged with patent infringement.

The way things are going, it's just a matter of time before all easily bought
hardware will also be "closed" - see Palladium (and that's just the start) -
and you can bet your house on the fact that there will be a law passed sooner
or later making sale of "open" computer hardware illegal.

All we can hope is that the governments (and the Police) maintain their
current level of IT ignorance and stupidity, and that they won't ever
understand enough to make their laws enforceable.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk