[Gllug] Best option for a lot of compute power

john at sinodun.org.uk john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Jun 7 11:04:57 UTC 2004

> Richard Jones writes:
>
>>Seriously though, have you looked at using a declarative language to
>>search through the space?  Prolog being the obvious choice.
>
> Yep, that was my first thought, too. Languages like Prolog are great
> at calculating best fit scenarios[1]. I'm also completely astounded that
> anyone could seriously believe that calculating a school time table would
> require significant amounts of compute power.

I confess I don't know anything about Prolog and I'm new to the area of
timetables, but the idea that calculating school timetables (indeed, any
timetables) requires a lot of CPU seems fairly well established.  If
anyone can demonstrate a method which doesn't need a lot of CPU time you
should be able to make a killing.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk