[Gllug] re: SCSI vs SATA

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Thu Jun 10 11:30:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Tom Fairbairn wrote:

>>the necessary chippery is easily (and quite cheaply) available
>
>So is Linux, but that doesn't mean it isn't complicated!  What I meant by that
>comment was that the serial stuff is far more complicated as compared to what
>you need for parallel.

Until you have to route all those parallel tracks so that they're all the
same length. I'm no PCB designer, but I guess a small number of very high
speed tracks are easier to lay out than loads of high speed tracks, hence
the move to 16 bit buses in RDRAM and HyperTransport.

Against the costs of everyone routing PCBs correctly, the one time cost of
designing more complicated serial drivers is probably low.

>Christopher Hunter <chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk>@gllug.org.uk on 06/09/2004
>07:13:00 PM
>
>Please respond to chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk; Please respond to Greater
>      London Linux Users Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk>
>
>Sent by:  gllug-bounces at gllug.org.uk
>

>To:   Greater London Linux Users Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk>
>cc:
>Subject:  Re: [Gllug] re: SCSI vs SATA
>

>On Wednesday 09 Jun 2004 3:58 pm, Pete Ryland wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 11:10:22AM +0100, Tom Fairbairn wrote:
>> > Of course, the transmit/receive circuits are far more complicated and
>> > hence expensive than the parallel equivalents, but over recent years this
>> > cost has reduced compared to the cost of cables and connectors.
>>
>> Are the transmit/receive circuits really that complicated?
>
>Not these days - the necessary chippery is easily (and quite cheaply)
>available.  I'm going this way with many of my designs wherever I need speed.
>Serial generally beats parallel in my recent experience!
>
>Chris
>
>--

    /"\
    / \