[Gllug] Best option for a lot of compute power

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Mon Jun 7 10:47:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 11:31, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> Since this is an activity that is only performed once per term,
> wouldn't it be more cost effective to rent some space on a high
> performance system/cluster?  That way you don't have to handle
> maintenance and the like, and ideally the system would be upgraded as
> new computing tech comes along.
>
> I have no idea who provides such services, but I'm sure they must
> exist...

I could bore the hind legs off the lot of you on this topic.
(Grid. There - I had to say it)
I'll restrain myself though.
Yes, as far as I'm aware there are bureau services for HPC.
And many manufacturers will allow access to a test drive cluster if
you want to do some benchmarking.

There are render-on-demand services for animation.

Also very interesting is the work HP Bristol are putting in to
the intelligent data centre.
They have/are working on things to rapidly repurpose and install
servers in a datacentre environment, so you can hire capacity on demand.
Google for Smart Frog and Utility Data Centre.
AFAIK, they provide services to animation companies in the area.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk