[Gllug] Best option for a lot of compute power

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Mon Jun 7 10:39:24 UTC 2004

"Martin A. Brooks" writes:

>Last time I checked, a 3ghz xeon with HT and 1mb cache would have set
>you back about £500.  A 2ghz opteron chip (which will keep up with a
>xeon quite cheerfully) with the same cache will set you back about
>£300.

Yep, sorry. I was thinking of single CPU systems, where a hyperthreaded
P4 system is indeed cheaper than an equivalent Opteron. Incidentally,
what's the deal with Xeons? It always used to be that the Xeon had large
cache sizes, which justified the premium price. Now a normal P4 has the
same on chip cache, so why does the Xeon cost so much more, and what
extra do you get for your money? Just the ability to run multiple CPUs,
or is it something more than that?

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk