[Gllug] Traceroute query

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 1 19:32:24 UTC 2004

Christopher Hunter wrote:

> Debian was just a real pain - the installer didn't work properly (ever -
> despite rtying on several different machines), and I had to spend an
> inordinate amount of time getting all the hardware working to my satisfaction

You seem to have been rather unlucky then. I've installed Debian on
serveral machines and the only one which gave trouble was an IBM TP 365
which is seriously ancient and gave trouble with everything else I tried
on it too (including Open and NetBSD) except Slackware. The likes of RH,
Mandrake and SuSE wouldn't have a chance on this thing, with an 800MB
hard disk. And I'm sure I could have got Debian in if I'd tried a bit
harder - I didn't bother because Slackware was fine for the job in hand
(being a serial console).

Laptops are generally the trickiest but everything on my Dell Latitude
was detected properly and "just worked", including the combo
modem/ethernet and the video. The only things I had to do with it were
install some enhanced video drivers to get DVDs to play properly (it's
only a P600 so it needs all the help it can get) and manually move the
filesystems to LVM because the installer doesn't support it. The new
Debain installer which is currently beta does support LVM, but I
couldn't get it to work when I last tried. I'm sure this will be sorted
out before it's released.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk