[Gllug] Free PC

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 09:27:12 UTC 2004

On Tue 29 Jun, Neil Chambers wrote:

> I was thinking a little while ago about installing a touch screen thin
> client in the kitchen. It can be semi-embedded into the wall and covered
> with a plastic film - obviously making sure there is _some_ ventilation
> for heat exchange. I'll probably move house before doing that though :-)

   I have heard many rumours for several years about cheap flexible plastic
film screens being almost ready for production quantity manufacture.
   Cambridge University were demonstrating light emitting polymer screens
perhaps ten years ago, and I have heard recent rumours about an alternative
system developed in America. Some mobile phones, and perhaps other flat
screens, are supposed to be using similar technology for backlights, London
buses carried illuminated external adverts a few years ago, and there were
news items today about BBC buildings carrying new large external screens.
   Previous external large screen displays have been expensive brute force
triple-colour arrays, (I have not seen what is at Wimbledon this year), but
I am still hoping that I will be able to mount a cheap, good quality, large,
screen in place of wallpaper, or perhaps on the ceiling for relaxed viewing.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk