[Gllug] Best option for a lot of compute power

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Mon Jun 7 14:38:48 UTC 2004

On Mon 07 Jun Tethys wrote:

> Richard Jones writes:
>
> >Seriously though, have you looked at using a declarative language to
> >search through the space?  Prolog being the obvious choice.
>
> Yep, that was my first thought, too. Languages like Prolog are great
> at calculating best fit scenarios[1]. I'm also completely astounded that
> anyone could seriously believe that calculating a school time table would
> require significant amounts of compute power.

Sounds NP-Complete to me, so presumably could involve an exhaustive
search, which could take a very very long time otherwise?  Especially in
this day and age when people are encouraged to select the subjects the
want (instead of everyone doing maths, physics & chemistry like when i
was a lad :).

On the computing power front, I am very pleased with the dual-opterons
i've bought.  They seem faster than the dual-Xeons, for the money.  I
have no scientific basis for that though.

doug.

--
  http://adju.st/   | I am the hamster.
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD | Hear me roar.           Growl!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk