[Gllug] /etc/hosts caching

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 19:45:35 UTC 2004

Murray wrote:
> I'm moving a domain between a couple of hosts, and hence I need to be
> able to tinker with /etc/hosts to map the domain to one ip or another
> for testing etc.
>
> But each time I change it, I have to reboot the computer for the change
> to be picked up.
>
> Is there a way to avoid rebooting?  I'm not running bind or anything
> locally - the dns is handled remotely, and I don't want to start
> changing that until I've fully tested.

I've only seen this effect when nscd was active and enabled for hosts,
which is unusual these days - even Sun have disabled it for hosts by
default in Solaris these days.

If you are running nscd, stop it. IMO it achieves very little unless you
are in a big slow NIS+ environment which is what it was designed for.

Are you using a web browser? Most of these do their own caching. If this
is the problem, restarting the browser will fix it, no need to reboot.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk