[Gllug] /etc/hosts caching

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Wed Jun 2 20:56:35 UTC 2004

On Wed 02 Jun Ian Northeast wrote:
> If you are running nscd, stop it. IMO it achieves very little unless you
> are in a big slow NIS+ environment which is what it was designed for.

Seconded.  nscd is a major pain in the arse.  It gave me immense grief
when it first came out with Solaris (2.4 I think?  Maybe 2.5.1?).  Kill
it and kill it dead.

Microsoft hasn't realised this yet, and has it's own DNS cache in win2k
(dunno about me or xp or whatever it's called).  Bizarrely it even
caches negatives, which can cause immense problems in networks with
shonky dns servers (i.e. Microsoft DNS Server).

doug.

--
  http://adju.st/   | I am the hamster.
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD | Hear me roar.           Growl!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk