[Gllug] External drive enclosures

Robert P. McKenzie rmckenzi at rpmdp.com
Sun Mar 14 08:25:22 UTC 2004

Dylan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> My father had a 20G IDE drive which he wants to take from a machine and
> put into an external USB enclosure. The drive is already partitioned
> and contains data.
>
> Can I expect the drive to be recognised correctly (i.e. have its current
> partitioning scheme and data) after the change? I remember having a
> parrallel port external drive with an IDE drive in it which showed
> garbled directory listings when installed internally. FWIW the box is
> currently Win98 and the external unit will be used on WinXP.

 From my own experiences with various external drive cases, no.  The first
partition will so fine and be normal, other partitions won't be visable.  I've
had USB and firewire drive enclosures and in both cases only the first partition
is accessable.  What you may have to to do is use something like Partition Magic
to merge the partitions into 1.

--
Robert P. McKenzie                 |   GammaRay Technical Services LLC
rmckenzi at rpmdp.com                 |             rob at gammaray-tech.com
http://www.uk-experience.com       |      http://www.gammaray-tech.com
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk