qmail dead ? was: [Gllug] ezmlm status?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 19 00:33:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 15:04, C. Cooke wrote:

> I'd say exim is in the same class of configuration flexibility,
> actually. It has embedded perl, it's completely rewritable... and yes, I
> have seen turing complete config files for it.

I would say the simple fact that you need to embed perl into it to
achieve this is a pretty clear cut argument that it's not in the same
class of configuration flexibility.

> I prefer to use exim, because I know it very well. I'd say postfix is a
> better MTA for the general case, perhaps... But I've seen no use for
> sendmail since I removed it from the last of my systems

Hmm. And when I install debian on systems I intend to use for mail, I
typically remove exim and install sendmail. Does this mean that there is
no use for exim? Basing your argument on the fact that you don't use a
system is hardly a strong position. In fact I'd argue that the only way
the "no use for sendmail" argument holds any water would be if you
eschewed the use of SMTP. Using an MTA - any MTA, means that you clearly
see the use of sendmail. The fact that you personally may choose to use
an alternative solution to achieve the task affects this not at all.

Many people's argument these days seems to be "I can do all I need with
MTA x". That's a valid argument for not changing MTA, but not a valid
argument for choosing one over another.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk