[Gllug] PostgreSQL 7.3 / UNICODE database / BYTEA

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Fri Mar 19 08:01:44 UTC 2004

On Thursday 18 March 2004 19:31, Richard Jones wrote:
> I wonder if anyone on this list is using PostgreSQL 7.3 with UNICODE
> encoded databases.  I have a small test program which reliably hangs
> when I put certain data into a BYTEA column, and I wonder if anyone
> would be willing to try and duplicate it to see if this is a real
> problem.

I take it it's a particular set of values?

> It's as simple as creating a temporary table, inserting some data and
> then running psql to select out the data.  On my machine psql spins in
> a loop forever - only on certain types of data, I'm not sure what the
> exact pattern of data is, but I have a few entries in a current
> database which reliably trigger the issue.

Hmm - is it the fetching or the display? That is, does it still do it if you
redirect psql out to a file? What about from PHP/Perl/some other client?

> Also .. I need to know if upgrading to 7.4 (also with a UNICODE
> database) would fix the problem.

There's the following in 7.4.1 Release-notes:
"Escape bytea output for bytes > 0x7e(Joe)

If different client encodings are used for bytea output and input, it is
possible for bytea values to be corrupted by the differing encodings. This
fix escapes all bytes that might be affected."

Does that sound like what you're seeing?

I've got 7.3 here if you want me to test something.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk