[Gllug] OT Mail relay configuration issue

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Mar 5 14:56:09 UTC 2004

I sent this request to our ISP (names changed to protect the stupid):

Could you reduce the maximum size of the bounce messages on your relay
mail servers?  Our mail system is configured to reject anti-virus
messages at the SMTP configuration stage but if the message comes to us
through one of the XXXXXX relays (e.g. XXXXXX) then the relay usually
bounces the entire virus back to the alleged sender in the NDR.  If you
could reduce the bounce_return_size_limit option to something like 4K,
that would stop this from happening.

I received this response:

Sir,
The current bounce_return_size_limit configured on the XXXXXXXXX relay's
of 100k is unfortunately unable to be reduced, as we do not wish to run
the risk of truncating information which may be contained in any
extended headers.  I am therefore, regrettably unable to effect your
request in this instance.

Regards,

XXXXXXXX XXXXX, MCSE CCNP CCDA

Corporate Support Engineer

Now, I think this is rubbish.  I don't think I've ever seen a message
with anything like 100K of data in the headers and I don't think it's
worth bouncing entire viruses around the internet just to cater for the
rare event that one might turn up.  I think I'm dealing with an ignorant
MCSE who doesn't have a clue about configuring Exim but your views on
this subject are welcome.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.