[Gllug] OT Mail relay configuration issue

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Fri Mar 5 15:11:42 UTC 2004

Bruce Richardson writes:

>Now, I think this is rubbish.  I don't think I've ever seen a message
>with anything like 100K of data in the headers and I don't think it's
>worth bouncing entire viruses around the internet just to cater for the
>rare event that one might turn up.  I think I'm dealing with an ignorant
>MCSE who doesn't have a clue about configuring Exim but your views on
>this subject are welcome.

I fall somewhere between the two. Yes, 100K is excessive, but 4K is probably
too small. It's sometimes informative to have more than just the headers.
I'd probably put the cutoff at around 15-20K or so. Just checking some of
our previous bounces here, I've found one with 11K of useful header info
(it eventually failed due to too many hops), and had it been truncated
at 4K, we wouldn't have been able to diagnose and fix the problem.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk