[Gllug] Data transfer monitoring

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Fri Mar 19 10:57:14 UTC 2004

"Luke Hopkins" writes:

>The problem I have is that I don't really 'get' how this Linux router
>would be addressed, I understand port forwarding from public to private
>etc, but I don't want that restriction, for example all of the boxes may
>run a webserver,

Normally, you'd just set the box up with two interfaces. One with an
unused IP on your internal network (which would be the default route
for the other boxen on the network). The other interface goes out to
the Cisco router.

>I guess it needs to be completely transparent.

Do you really mean that? It's possible, but rarely desirable to have it
*completely* transparent, as that would mean not decrementing TTL, which
is a route you really don't want to go down unless you know exactly what
you're doing...

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk