[Gllug] Data transfer monitoring

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Fri Mar 19 12:04:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:49:16 -0000
"Luke Hopkins" <streaklug at streaknet.co.uk> wrote:

> Morning all,
>
> We have a small public network of 8 IP's, mixed OS's which run through a
> router out into the ether.
> Our provider won't allow us to monitor SNMP on the router, so its
> proving quite difficult to monitor which boxes are transferring what.

Your supplier might be willing to give you a port on the router that is set-up
in monitoring mode, that is it sees all the traffic on the other ports. You
can attach a box to that port and run whatever monitoring software you want.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk