[Gllug] Flash and Dreamweaver going to port for Linux

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Mar 17 10:41:41 UTC 2004

Richard Jones writes:

>Interesting ...  I actually started reading the GIMP manual
>(manual.gimp.org) yesterday, and I finally "got it" on a few things
>I've never understood about this program.  I'm no graphic designer
>though, so I wonder if you can tell us why people prefer GIMP over
>Photoshop, other than just familiarity.  Are there really areas for
>web graphic design where Photoshop is better?

No, not really. It *is* better for prepress work (when it comes to
colour matching and CMYK separation, for example). But for the web, you
can do everything with GIMP that you can do in Photoshop. A lot of it
is resistance to change. GIMP sometimes does things differently to
Photoshop to achieve the same effect, and experienced Photoshop users
don't like making that change (incidentally, I have exactly the same
problem in reverse -- I'm so used to the GIMP way of doing things that
I find Photoshop to be awkward and unintuitive). There are a few areas
that Photoshop arguably makes easier, and where the GIMP UI could be
improved. But I don't really notice them...

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk