[Gllug] HTML Mail

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 09:50:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:04:48AM +0000, Robert P. McKenzie wrote:
> bradut at intelesuri.net wrote:
>
> >>1. Use the text body, if available, and delete the HTML,
> >>
> >>2. or translate the HTML into some kind of text.
> >>

> >You wouldn't happen to know of a similar tool that would translate all
> >the flash, shockwave sites into text also, would you  ?... ;)
> >Personally, I am more concerned about a number of websites which are
> >flash or shockwave or whatever only....
>
> While there isn't anything convert these sites to text, the AdBlocker
> plugin for Mozilla does a great job of removing not only ads, but Flash as
> well.  Reading sites like the Reg with no ads is so much nicer now :)

I just put squid on my box with a view to:

1. Speeding up some sites by caching images
2. Blocking ads (especially flash ads!!)

I used the guide here http://www.taz.net.au/block/index.html
(mentioned by another poster about a week ago).

I'm +very+ happy with the results. Simple to set up though I did
mess with his perl script a little.

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk